Information about applying for approval to offer distance education in New York State is provided below, and application materials are provided in the “Useful Links” box.
- Application content requirements are specified in the Application for Approval to Offer Distance Education in New York State application document. This website does not include all of the information provided in the application document.
- To begin the application process institutions must first complete the Intent to Apply for Approval to Offer Distance Education in New York State Form.
- NYSED will acknowledge receipt of the Intent to Apply Form and provide instructions for accessing the online application submission folder.
- Application files must be uploaded within 60 days from the date the submission folder information is provided to the institution. Do not submit a paper copy of the application.
- Applications that are not complete or properly submitted within this time frame will be withdrawn from further consideration, and the application will not be retained by NYSED.
- Institutions will have 60 days from the date the application submission folder information is provided to send their application fee to NYSED.
- The annual application review fee ($7,000) is non-refundable. Should NYSED disapprove an application, the annual approval fee ($10,000) will be refunded.
- The fee payment submission must include:
- a check for $17,000 made out to the New York State Education Department, and,
- a NYSED payment form.
- Payments should be mailed to:
- New York State Education Department
- ATTN: OUT OF STATE APPLICATIONS
- Office of College and University Evaluation
- 89 Washington Avenue, Room 960 EBA
- Albany, NY 12234
- NYSED will notify applicants once the fee payment has been processed and review of the application has begun.
- Application review will not commence before the fee payment has been processed.
- NYSED retains the right to request additional information or ask clarifying questions throughout the application review process.
- NYSED may contact other state or federal regulatory agencies, or other organizations such as accrediting bodies, for any information it deems necessary to make a determination on an application.
- At the conclusion of the review, NYSED will notify applicants in writing that their application is either approved or disapproved. If an application is disapproved, NYSED will provide reasons for the disapproval in writing.
Accessing the Application Submission Folder
Institutions will use the New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Secure File Transfer Manager to submit their Application for Approval to Offer Distance Education in New York State. The File Transfer Manager is a secure and convenient way to exchange files using the Web. An invitation to create an account is generated when the Intent to Apply for Approval to Offer Distance Education in New York State Form is submitted.
Applicants will receive an email from “SED File Transfer Manager” that includes a link to the registration page. After creating a user profile applicants will receive another email from “SED File Transfer Manager” that provides access to the institution’s secure application submission folder. At this point institutions should be able to sign into their File Transfer Manager account and submit application files.
The File Transfer System enables applicants to upload files from their local computer to their application submission folder by either:
- Dragging and dropping the files from their desktop, or
- Clicking the “Upload” button and following the system prompts to select the files to upload.
- Institutions should retain a complete copy of their application as access to the application submission folder will close when the review period begins.
- File names and formats must match those provided in the Application for Approval to Offer Distance Education in New York State Document Checklist (page 3).
- Do not submit a paper copy of the application.
Please do not hesitate to send any questions relating to the application submission or review process to IHEauthorize@nysed.gov.
This application is current as of March 2017. NYSED reserves the right to update and revise the application as needed, and the contents and required responses are subject to change.