The mission of the New York State Education Department Charter School Office is to foster high quality public education options for all students, families, and communities. The vision of the office is to create a diverse portfolio of innovative charter schools that produce strong outcomes through a rigorous new school process, strong performance oversight and accountability, and model authorizing practices. The charter schools authorized by the Board of Regents will serve as exemplars for all public schools here in New York State and across the country.
Karonne P. Jarrett
An intern who can provide 9 to 12 hours a week, in no less than 3 hour blocks is preferred.
Substantive work may include, but would not be limited to:
1. Legislative and legal research and writing;
2. Review of charter school contracts and documents;
3. Assisting in the preparation of corporate documents for New York State charter schools;
4. Reviewing and making recommendations on charter revision requests concerning Regents authorized charter schools and proposed charter revisions from other authorizers, as appropriate;
5. Preparing and editing charter school documents and materials;
6. Assisting in the preparation of responses to Freedom of Information Law requests;
7. Coordinating and participating in meetings and conferences;
8. Other daily tasks may include, but would not be limited to: copying, filing, preparing correspondence, responding to general charter school inquiries.
The intern will receive hands-on experience analyzing and preparing legal documents, discussing policy and legislative changes to the Education Law, and drafting legal memoranda.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter, resume, transcript (student copy is acceptable), and completed internship application to email@example.com (link sends e-mail) Please include the Assignment Number (P12-34) in the subject line of your email to reference this assignment.