THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Special Education Assistant Substitute, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking to fill a Special Education Assistant Substitute position. The incumbent of this position will be responsible for the classroom care of students in the school’s education program in the absence of regular staff.
Candidates must have the following:
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency;
- The ability to perform moderate to heavy lifting of children; and
- New York State certification as a Teaching Assistant, or be eligible to obtain such certificate within one (1) year of employment.*
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following:
- Experience working with severe to profoundly disabled and/or blind/sensory impaired children;
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of an educational team; and
- Possession of, or willing to secure, an Article 19A school bus driver certification.
Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a temporary, on-call, hourly position. Hours for this position are Monday through Friday - 6:45am/7:00am to 2:45pm/3:00pm. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Substitutes are notified by phone when services are needed. Every effort is made to give 24 hour prior notice
*Employees who have not obtained certification within one (1) year of employment will be terminated.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis; applicants will be contacted when a vacancy is available. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Box number (SEA Sub - Batavia)of the position in the subject line of your email and in all correspondence to ensure receipt of your application.