THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Special Assistant, M3 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department is seeking applicants for the position of Special Assistant. This position reports to the Assistant Commissioner for Public Affairs and will work with the Assistant Commissioner to prepare and/or distribute materials regarding the programs, policies, and activities of the State Education Department to the general public, media, and other relevant audiences. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist the Assistant Commissioner in developing, implementing and updating a multimedia Communications Plan which utilizes all communication tools of the Department to deliver consistent messaging across multiple platforms including, but not limited to, the Department website, social media, traditional media, video, publications, announcements, media events, website material, television and other media related vehicles;
- Manage the development and implementation of an annual outreach plan directed toward schools, colleges and universities, cultural institutions, professionals licensed by the Department, vocational rehabilitation providers, and relevant professional associations;
- Assist the Assistant Commissioner with crisis communications and issues management planning;
- Create communications and roll out plans for important announcements;
- Create informational materials, publications and social media targeted to the general public and other audiences important to the Department;
- Maintain relations with various media and cultivate new contacts in order to provide accurate and timely information on Department policies and initiatives;
- Assist the Commissioner of Education and Department executives in the preparation of speeches, news releases, briefings and other informational materials;
- Supervise and coordinate the work of subordinate staff, including the G-23 Public Information Specialist 2;
- Serve as acting manager of the Communications team in the absence of the Assistant Commissioner;
- Staff Commissioner at public events and interviews across the state, including New York City.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and five years of professional experience in public relations, public information or communications at a public sector agency, educational institution, professional association, or nonprofit organization.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who have three years of the above experience in a management capacity, including supervision of subordinate staff.
This position is in the exempt class and serves at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Some travel is required across the state, including to New York City. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
* Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 5, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-321) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.