THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking applicants for an Instructor position for the Orientation and Mobility (O&M) program. The O&M Instructor will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in developing strategies designed for the specific needs of each individual student. Major duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Administer O&M evaluations, assessments and establish appropriate Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals;
- Instruct students with visual impairments in skills and knowledge that enable them to travel independently based on the IEP goals established;
- Teach students to travel with proficiency, safety, and confidence in familiar and unfamiliar environments;
- Prepare sequential and meaningful instruction geared to the student’s assessed needs, IEP goals and objectives, functioning level, and motivation level;
- Prepare and use equipment and materials, such as tactile maps, models, optical devices, pre-canes, GPS devices, and long canes for the development of O&M skills; and
- Prepare reports with documentation based on evaluations, assessments and progress monitoring.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education.
Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $63,607 - $81,091 through annual performance advances
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (BDC-274/00134) of the position and shift in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.