THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
NEW YORK STATE SCHOOL FOR THE BLIND
2A Richmond Avenue, Batavia, New York 14020
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Instructor, NS (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s School for the Blind is seeking applicants for an Instructor position. Major duties of this position will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provide classroom instruction;
- Assure that appropriate Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) are established and all mandates fulfilled;
- Assure that behavior plans are established and consistently implemented;
- Administer standardized educational assessments, collect data, and monitor progress;
- Coordinate development of educational reports and recommendations;
- Plan and conduct activities for students to enhance development of skills in their areas of need;
- Collaborate with instructional staff, other school personnel and parents to ensure program consistency;
- Supervise assigned Teaching Assistants;
- Prepare evaluation reports, report cards and deficiency notices, quarterly progress reports for IEP’s and all other required paperwork and maintain daily attendance records;
- Participate in departmental staff, parent, and multidisciplinary meetings; and
- Perform any other duties as requested by supervisors.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher AND a valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with the following qualifications:
- Certification as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired; and/or
- Training as an Orientation and Mobility specialist.
Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. This will be a permanent, 10-month position. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $63,607 - $81,091 through annual performance advances
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis; applicants will be contacted when a vacancy is available. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the Box number (Instructor - Batavia) of the position in the subject line of your email and in all correspondence to ensure receipt of your application.