THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Executive Director, M6 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director in the Office of Information and Reporting Services and Educational Design and Technology. The Office of Information and Reporting Services (IRS) and Educational Technology is responsible for New York State’s data collection, management and reporting processes, including implementing and monitoring the Department’s data collection schedule and reporting calendar for federal and State accountability for P-12 and higher education in New York State. This Office is also responsible for coordinating the policies and state supports necessary for the successful integration of educational technology. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide vision, leadership and communication with respect to implementation of a major reform and expansion of the Department’s educational data collection and reporting to ensure the use of best practices;
- Provide vision and leadership to a team of 50 data analysts in the Office of IRS, educational technology specialists in the Office of Educational Development and Technology (ED&T) and application developers within P-20, IRS - IT and with Central ITS to support the integration of data collection, data reporting, and technology into instruction and learning;
- Provide vision and leadership for the secure collection and reporting of P-20 data, such as individual student data, educator data, aggregate school and district data, and aggregate higher education data;
- Provide vision and leadership for the collection, evaluation, and implementation of all educational data including the data management work of various program offices throughout the agency that have programmatic responsibility for education data reporting;
- Provide vision and leadership to the Director of Educational Data and Research to lead multiple teams to deliver field facing applications to streamline data collection and reporting;
- Provide vision and leadership for the successful integration of educational technology in the classroom, specifically regarding best practices and initiatives for online and blended learning;
- Provide vision, leadership and communication with respect to management of all contractual obligations for systems within the Office of Information and Reporting Services and the Office of Educational Development and Technology to ensure uninterrupted services for all of New York State;
- Serve as the primary liaison with New York State’s Regional Information Centers and Big Five city school districts to support the secure collection and reporting of educational data and the effective use of educational technology;
- Serve and guide senior leadership with all press releases and communications including preparing reports and presentations to the Board of Regents and other public reports related to data, policy initiatives, discussions, student achievement, accountability and educational technology;
- In conjunction with the Information Security team, the Information Security Officer, and NYSED Counsel, serve as the primary liaison to lead the NYSED Data Management Governance Board to ensure the agency adheres to all data security and privacy laws, specifically protecting personally identifiable information and agency-wide data governance;
- Serve as the primary liaison for the Office of Information and Reporting and the Office of Educational Design and Technology to collaborate on the implementation and future expansion of computer-based testing for public and private schools in New York State;
- Serve as the primary liaison to coordinate with NYS Broadband Office, Education Superhighway, eRate, Regional Information Centers, and all other state and federal agency/organizations to ensure all schools are “connected” with respect to the integration of educational technology including funding opportunities; and
- Lead, collaborate, or serve in any additional duty or capacity as directed by senior management.
Candidates must have a Master’s Degree or higher and relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government including professional and educational experience related to large-scale data management, qualitative or quantitative research, data analysis, data collection, data reporting and/or development of data systems.
This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1769/21142) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.