THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Director, Career Readiness and Workforce Partnerships, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for the position of Director, Career Readiness and Workforce Partnerships in the Office of Career and Technical Education. This Office is responsible for providing high-quality career and technical education (CTE) opportunities for all students. New York State’s CTE delivery system consists of over 1,100 CTE providers, serving over one million students in school districts, BOCES and postsecondary institutions. CTE studies are organized in New York in the following educational content areas: agricultural; business & marketing; family & consumer sciences; health occupations; technology; and trade and technical education. The CTE team also oversees activities in Perkins grant administration, Civil Rights, Workplace Learning, and Driver Education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and coordinate CTE professional and support staff in the implementation of Office initiatives and responsibilities;
- Oversee the work of the NYS CTE Technical Assistance Center as well as activities in federal Perkins grant administration, Civil Rights, Workplace Learning, and Driver Education;
- Lead the development of curriculum, instruction, and assessment models in CTE;
- Liaison with philanthropic organizations and apply for grant opportunities to support CTE programs.
- Provide leadership and technical assistance to Local Education Agencies on the development of CTE curricula and implementation of Career Development Occupational Studies (CDOS) pathways to graduation;
- Develop support strategies and resources to assist school administrators and educators in providing equitable access to CTE;
- Create training and related workshops to build educator capacity and enhance teachers’ CTE content knowledge;
- Promote new pathways for educator certification to strengthen the State’s CTE infrastructure;
- Partner with University of the State of New York member institutions, including institutions of higher education, to provide a variety of professional development opportunities related to CTE;
- Conduct outreach to the Regional Economic Development Councils, statewide and local business organizations, and industry leaders to enhance CTE opportunities and pathways;
- Partner with the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS), the NYS Division of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS), the NYS Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Juvenile Justice program to support educational opportunities for neglected, delinquent, and at-risk student populations and develop transition plans related to “Raise the Age” legislation;
- Work closely with internal NYSED offices, specifically with the Offices of Bilingual Education and World Languages, Special Education, State Assessment, Higher Education and the Office of Professions to increase work-based learning experiences and support quality CTE instruction; and
- Represent NYSED at meetings and conferences.
Candidates must possess a master’s degree or higher AND five years of leadership experience in the field of Career and Technical Education within an education oversight agency, LEA, BOCES, state education agency or professional organization. At least three years of this experience must have been in an administrative, management or program-level leadership capacity.
This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. The filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
* Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1826/00074) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.