THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Chief, Education Programs, M4 (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Chief, Education Programs position in the Office of Early Learning. This Office provides oversight and technical support to school districts in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies related to educating students in Pre-kindergarten to third grade that are aligned with the NYS Board of Regents Early Childhood Policy. The Office works closely with parents, early care and education agencies, schools, state agencies and community advocates to coordinate programs and resources, with the goal of making New York’s early learning system as comprehensive and seamless as possible.
The incumbent of this position will coordinate policy, manage program development and oversee the operations of the Office of Early Learning. This position has responsibility for implementation of the NYS Board of Regents reform agenda as it relates to early childhood education. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direction and oversight over statewide policies and programs related to Prekindergarten to third grade, including development of a P-3 learning continuum for students;
- Engage in comprehensive budget planning, analysis and oversight of federal and State funding sources;
- Provide policy analysis and interpret proposed and current legislation that impacts schools and students in early childhood education;
- Oversee the State’s almost $1 Billion investment in high-quality prekindergarten programs located in approximately 500 school districts across the State, including the development and implementation of procedures, protocols and guidelines for monitoring and evaluating early childhood programs;
- Coordinate monitoring, including site visits, of all federal and State-funded prekindergarten programs within this Office to determine if programs are operating in compliance with the governing rules and regulations. Provide technical assistance, as necessary;
- Develop and present written recommendations, reports or memoranda including policy and evidence-based analysis related to early childhood education for consideration by NYSED leadership, the Commissioner, Board of Regents, Governor’s Office and the legislature; and
- Represent the Department on inter- and intra-agency committees, advisories and work groups to collaborate on best practices and initiatives to educate students in prekindergarten to third grade.
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Chief, Education Programs.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a qualifying title allocated to salary grade M-3 or higher deemed eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Provisional Appointment: For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor of Education Programs OR two years of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Instructional Services (any specialty area), Associate in Educational Planning and Evaluation, Associate in School Nursing, Associate in Education Improvement Services, or Associate in School Health Education.
This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Chief, Education Programs when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $138,763 based on annual performance advances.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OHE-715/66292) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.