THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant in Educational Testing, Grade 22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Division of Professional Licensing Services anticipates filling an Assistant in Educational Testing position in the Professional Examinations Unit. Under the direction of the Associate in Educational Testing, the incumbent will perform various functions and responsibilities necessary for the on-going use of professional examinations for New York State licensure. Duties include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Writing and editing test questions and selecting test forms with the State Boards, maintaining and expanding electronic item banks, and conducting item writer training sessions;
- Generating test keys and scoring directions, performing statistical analyses and presenting results to the State Boards, and assisting the State Boards in cut score determinations and devising cut score formulae;
- Writing job analysis surveys and analyzing results;
- Approving candidate score reports before release and working with outside test vendors to ensure the secure electronic transfer of test results into the new E-licensing system;
- Assessing the appropriateness of regional and/or national tests along with their test development procedures to determine suitability as licensing instruments and conducting periodic evaluations with the State Boards of tests currently used in the licensing process;
- Assisting in the Request for Proposal process, drawing up wording of technical exam matters in contracts, and working with internal offices to finalize agreements for use in professional examinations;
- Administering reviews of professional examinations with unit staff;
- Handling inquiries from candidates and other interested parties on professional examinations, policies, procedures, and reasonable accommodation requirements;
- Monitoring and responding to test administration reports from professional licensing examination holdings; and
- Advising internal and external offices on response to incidents of breached test security and candidate misconduct.
For permanent appointment, qualified candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Educational Testing OR be reachable on the eligible list for Assistant in Educational Testing. If there are fewer than 3 acceptors on the eligible list, a provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, qualified candidates must have a master’s degree and three years of qualifying experience** OR a master's degree or higher in psychometrics, statistics, educational research, school counseling, guidance counseling, tests and measurement, or psychology AND two years of qualifying experience.
**Qualifying experience includes: experience in a position in which the majority of your duties involved developing, analyzing, or constructing large-scale tests and/or large-scale scoring rubrics; administering various aspects of a large-scale testing program on a professional level, such as the review, analysis, and interpretation of test score data, the development, review and editing of examinations, test manuals, and other test materials; or reviewing or re-rating open-ended responses.
This will be a permanent contingent or provisional appointment. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $81,415 based on annual performance advances.
Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (OP-896/19836) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.