THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Assistant Counsel, NS (Management/Confidential)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions, which regulates 54+ professions licensed by the New York State Board of Regents, is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Counsel in its Office of Professional Discipline (OPD), Prosecutions. Under the direction of OPD management and a supervising attorney, the incumbent of this position will participate in the development and review of investigations into allegations of professional misconduct. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in investigating and prosecuting illegal practice cases statewide;
- Provide legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various State boards for the professions;
- Engage in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
- Prepare for hearings and try before panels of the various State boards, professional misconduct cases, moral character cases that involve individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases involving individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
- Represent OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
- Research and prepare well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, other legal pleadings, internal memoranda and correspondence; and
- Effective and timely management of caseloads, as well as courteous and effective interaction with members of the Board of Regents, various State professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses and members of the public.
Candidates must have a J.D. Degree and be admitted to the New York State Bar. Candidate must have a minimum of four years of relevant, post-graduate experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing experience, demonstrating progressively responsible experience in such areas.
This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Frequent same-day travel and occasional overnight travel throughout the State will be required. Filling of this position is contingent on Division of the Budget approval.
*Salary will be commensurate with education and experience plus $3,026 downstate location pay.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OP-1202/21243) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.