SARA Application Process
The submission and review process is the same for both first-time and renewal applications:
- Institutions complete and send a new participant or renewal application as well as the State fees to NYSED.
- SUNY and CUNY colleges should contact their academic program planning representative to apply to become a member of SARA.
- NC-SARA fees should not be sent to NYSED; these should be sent directly to NC-SARA after Institutions have received SARA approval from NYSED.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Once the application is received, NYSED will confirm that it is complete and includes payment of state fees. (Reminder: Do NOT send NC-SARA fees with your application.) Upon confirmation of a complete application, NYSED will commence its review process.
- After review, NYSED will notify the institution of its determination and, if the application is approved, will inform NC-SARA. If an application is denied, NYSED will provide the applicant institution with a written reason for the denial.
- NC-SARA will contact the institution to finalize the participant information and arrange for payment of the NC-SARA fee. Payments must be processed no later than 60 days after state approval to participate.
- SARA membership commences or renews once NC-SARA has processed the Institution’s payment.
- Institutions are then eligible to operate under the terms and provisions of the SARA agreement.